Thursday, August 27, 2020

From My Grandfather's Deathbed: Part 1

2004 burned itself into my memory with . It was the year my grandfather passed away, as well as the year I lost all hope in humanity. Henry Marshall, my then 87 year old grandfather, shared stories of his life as I sat by his bedside. Throughout my entire life I assumed my grandfather was a perfectly normal man, but the 3 days I spent with him before his death changed my entire perspective. On Tuesday, September 14th he shared this story with me. "I didn't believe in much those days, your father was just a little boy and I was trying to live a normal life after what had happened to your grandmother, God rest her soul. Jacob Peters, a new friend at the time was working with me. I worked at the firm back in those days, you know. Me and Jacob always went for a drink after work and have a good time. Sometimes I'd go over to his house for dinner, his family was always so nice. It's a shame. God, I hate even thinking about it. The bastard. Well, there was a period where nobody'd seen Jacob for a week or so, wasn't picking up the phone, I never saw him around, you know? Well I go over to Jacob's house to see what the hell is going on and that's when I was struck with that... that unexplainable fear. The door was cracked. I hesitated for a moment, sensing that something was wrong. I called his name but didn't get an answer, so I entered the house. I shouldn't have done that. Yet he was willing and forthcoming, but he could not stop moving! I screamed at him, 'You absolutely have to stop moving!' but he kept on singing that same damn melody. I found nothing familiar in his eyes, only fragments of the friend I once had. But the noise he was making afterward, shit, that made my hair stand on end. It reminded me of Popeye’s voice but slowed down at an impossible pitch. His voice would progress to a certain pitch and immediately decrease to where it was before. His entire body would sway like a top in a robotic motion. It truly disturbed me, and it is not something I will easily forget." not finished you ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment